[By Heidi Kum]
Many ladies love the instant “glam”ification of wearing false eyelashes as they add an instant sparkle to the eyes. However, many soon find this instant gratification comes with its downsides. Experts warned there are dangers from overuse and now wearing double layers of the lashes which has become the trend.
There have been reports of ladies who were left with gaps in their lashes due to overuse of the synthetic lashes. While not everybody experiences the same horrendous effects, its worrying to know that false eyelashes do have the potential to cause damage if you persistently wear them all the time, with double layers, or don’t remove them properly and eventually the weight might affect them.
Here are the ways falsies can cause damage to your real lashes:
- PULL EFFECT: The glue used can create tension and can pull out the natural lashes when removed. Experts advise caution: If you use them gently, take them off, don’t wear them all the time, it will be fine. Those most prone to follicular damage are mature women who are getting on in years as their lashes are more vulnerable to damage than younger girls.
- GLUE EFFECT: But the glue which bonds the lash strips to the eyelid can cause irritation if the lashes are slept in and the glue is not removed properly. Most of the time if you damage your hair or the eyelashes, the body will recover. If you stop using whatever is causing the damage then the eyelashes can recover and grow. However, if you have caused permanent damage, there will be a gap in the eyelash, and the only solution for that is surgical lash transplant, a costly and time-consuming affair.
Superdrug, who sell more than four million pairs of false eyelashes every year, say they are seeing women of all ages buying into the trend. In recent years, the false lash category has been one of the biggest growth areas in the beauty market. This phenomenal growth can be attributed to a requirement for quick fix glamour and the continuing obsession with celebrity culture, as women are continuing to emulate the look of their favourite celebrities.
For ladies who want to keep their lashes luscious and dramatic with falsies yet want to maintain the fullness of their real lashes, help is at hand, here are some tips to keep your real lashes looking gorgeous.
1) Remove false lashes gently: the glue that holds your false lashes to your real ones needs to be gently dissolved before you yank out your falsies. No matter how tired you are at night, never yank your false lashes out without proper prep. Use an oil based eye makeup remover to gently massage the eyelids and eyelashes, this will loosen the bond of the eyelash glue. Then gently detach lashes from eyes, they should come off easily. If you have to use strength to loosen then, then you are not using enough eye makeup remover to soften the glue.
2) Clean eye area thoroughly: The glue used to affix your false eyelashes on can be an irritant to your eyelid skin. It is vital that you remove all traces of the glue to give your eyelid skin a rest and to prevent allergic reactions. Use a damp cotton pad to wipe off all traces of eye makeup and eyelash glue. Follow up with thorough cleansing off the skin with a gentle cleanser. Rinse thoroughly.
3) Nourish the skin: Use an eye gel or eye cream nightly to hydrate and soften the skin. With all the manipulation of your eyelid skin, it runs the risk of looking dehydrated and dull. Replace the lost lipids of your skin with a gentle eye cream suitable for your skin type. Extend the eye cream to your lashes as they can get brittle and dry from over use of mascara and other eye makeup products.
4) Eye mask: If you have the time, treat your eyes to an eye mask. It does not have to be something expensive. You can get some cucumber slices from the fridge and place them over your eyes for 10 minutes. This gives your eyes a chance to recharge and relax. The cool feel of the cucumber slices can also reduce any redness and inflammation of the eyelid skin.
5) Eyelash TLC: For the pros who are serious about keeping their lashes long and thick, there is nothing better than eyelash grower Latisse. Latisse is FDA approved to lengthen and strengthen existing lashes. One would use it nightly for about 8-10 weeks for optimal results. Hopefully, with more luscious lashes, you may even be able to discard your false eyelashes and settle for flaunting your real ones.