[By Violet Oon]
Violet Oon showcases an omelette that is healthy, light, easy to cook and best of all, can be a part of your stellar Festive Meal
Egg whites are the fashionable choice throughout what I would call Hollywood land in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood where every other café and restaurant patron is a film or TV star or an aspiring starlet. They do love their delicious dishes, but they love their figures much more and egg white omelette is often the breakfast of choice amongst the glitterati.
In Chinese cuisine, egg white omelettes have been a part of the elegant dining tradition and a classic dish of FRIED MILK DAI LIANG COUNTY STYLE with pinenuts and crab meat can do equal duty as a festive, light and elegant first course for the upcoming Christmas meals – renamed as FRIED MILK WITH EGG WHITES, CRAB AND PINENUTS and then quickly be re-worked into a starring dish for your CNY Eve Reunion Dinner! If you have friends for the first meal and relatives for the second, no one need know that you have simply re-cycled a delectable dish!
FRIED MILK DAI LIANG COUNTY STYLE
To Deep Fry:
25g pine nuts
1 handful rice vermicelli
5 to 6 cups vegetable oil
Fried Milk Mixture:
¼ cup fresh milk
¼ cup unsweetened evaporated milk
3 egg whites
1 ½ tsp cornflour
1/8 tsp salt
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp oil
100g crab meat OR prawns without shells OR scallops
2tsp chopped ham
2 tsp chopped coriander
Few leaves romaine lettuce
- Heat the 6 cups of oil in a small saucepan and when it is very hot, add the rice vermicelli and it must puff up immediately – remove quickly with a sieve. Drain on paper towels
- Heat up the oil again and deep fry the pine nuts till golden brown. Remove with a sieve and drain. Alternatively for a healthier version, you can bake the pine nuts till they are golden brown in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Make the Fried Milk Mixture: In a bowl mix together the fresh milk, evaporated milk, egg whites, cornflour and salt. Whisk well with a wire whisk till the milk mixture is fluffy. Add sesame oil and whisk gently to mix in.
- Heat a wok until it is very hot and add 2 tablespoons oil and heat it up. Add the milk mixture and scrape the mixture from the bottom and sides of the pan towards the center several times until the ingredients are set into a scrambled egg.
- Add the crab meat and fry till egg is cooked. Remove from the wok put on top of the noodles and top with the Pine Nuts. Garnish and serve.
HEALTHY NOTE: The Puffed Up Rice Vermicelli can be only a decoration and not eaten for those who would want less oil in their diets.